The Bermuda Government requires a negative COVID test to obtain a Mariner’s Travel Authorization (for those arriving by boat) or a Travel Authorization (for those traveling by air). As an aid to competitors, the Bermuda Race Organizing Committee (BROC) has worked with two vendors, TestZone Services and Fit to Fly BDA, to tailor their testing capabilities for the race.
To ensure that there will be sufficient testing capability available to test all competitors, return crew, and guests in a short period of time before the race, both services require those wishing to use these services to register for a testing time slot with the service they choose.
You are not required to use these services. They have been arranged by BROC with the vendors for your convenience and to ensure that there is sufficient testing capacity available to meet the needs of all competitors.
ALL OF THE INFO THAT FOLLOWS CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR COVID PROTOCOLS PAGE.
Option 1: Testing in person in Newport
You may choose to test in-person in Newport at the race headquarters at Sail Newport. The time windows for testing in-person are:
- Rapid PCR test: Monday 6/13 and Tuesday 6/14, 0800 to 1600
- Rapid Antigen test: Wednesday 6/15, 0600 to 1700
In-person testing at Sail Newport is offered by TestZone Services and pre-registration is required between April 19 and May 20 so they can plan to provide adequate testing capacity: https://hipaa.jotform.com/TestZone/newport-bermuda-race-covid-testing
Option 2: Testing remotely by video
Proctored Antigen testing is permitted by Bermuda 2 days before departure remotely by video from anywhere in the world.. For competitors this means if you choose this type of testing, you must be tested on Wednesday 6/15 and have results so the boat captain can register the boat by 1900.
Proctored Rapid Antigen testing tailored to the race is offered by two vendors: “TestZone Services” and “Fit to Fly BDA”. Unlike on-site in-person testing, numerous other commercial services are available if you wish to find another vendor. These two vendors have specifically adapted their services to support the needs of the race, particularly to have sufficient capability to test all competitors that choose this testing option on Wednesday. It is essential that anyone intending to utilize these services register in advance.
The two services have some differences in their offerings. The significant differences are:
- Antigen test kit: TestZone mails you an antigen testing kit. Fit to Fly BDA uses a test kit that you purchase separately. A link to the list of test kits approved by Bermuda is in the FAQs for the Fit to Fly BDA offering below.
- Number of people per session: TestZone tests one person per session. Fit to Fly BDA can test groups of 1 to 10 people in the same session.
Antigen test kits to take on board for the race: TestZone also can provide antigen test kits to take onboard for the race. You order them through the service and pick them up at registration in Newport. BROC VERY strongly encourages each boat to have two antigen tests (usually kits come with two tests) on board per crew member for self-testing during the race (and one pulse oximeter on each boat).
- Test Zone Services (in-person and remote): https://hipaa.jotform.com/TestZone/newport-bermuda-race-covid-testing
- Fit to Fly BDA (remote): https://www.fittofly.bm/products/newport-to-bermuda-boat-bookings
Option 3: Provide your own test results
You do not need to use the testing services arranged by BROC as long as your test results are from a valid source as stipulated by the Bermuda Government and are provided so the boat captain can register by 1900 on Wednesday.
Learn what tests are accepted by Bermuda: https://www.gov.bm/covid-19-tests-accepted-bermuda
For Return Crew and Guests/others flying to Bermuda:
Return Crew members, friends, family, guests, etc. may also use the remote (at home) proctored antigen testing services of TestZone Services and Fit to Fly BDA. Information and prices are available below or on the vendor’s website.
The significant differences between the two offerings are:
Antigen test kit: TestZone mails you an antigen testing kit. Fit to Fly BDA uses a test kit that you purchase separately. A link to the list of test kits approved by Bermuda is in the FAQs for the Fit to Fly BDA offering below.
- Antigen test kit: TestZone mails you an antigen testing kit. Fit to Fly BDA uses a test kit that you purchase separately. A link to the list of test kits approved by Bermuda is in the FAQs for Fit to Fly BDA.
- Available dates: TestZone is available from 6/17 through 6/22. Fit to Fly BDA offers their normal service to return crews and guests, so it is always available. The link to their normal service is provided below.
- Test Zone Services: https://hipaa.jotform.com/TestZone/newport-bermuda-race-covid-testing
- Fit to Fly BDA: https://www.fittofly.bm/
Mark Lenci, Vice-Chairman
2022 Bermuda Race Organizing Committee