Two Sites for Matching Boat and Crew
New for the 2020 Newport Bermuda Race, organizers team up with a pair of online platforms to help sailors, skippers, and race boats connect: RailMeets.com and tendrr.co. Both platforms provide a free service for amateur competitors.
Crew: On either platform, sign up for a free account and write a persuasive (and truthful!) profile. Points to consider include:
- Your experience, particularly in offshore races
- What positions you have strengths in
- Your availability for practice
- Your certifications, such as Safety at Sea Courses, First Aid
- Your other skill sets, such as mechanical, electrical, plumbing
A great way to get into offshore sailing is to first complete a delivery. Crew who sail the delivery home after the Bermuda Race prove their mettle, build relationships, and typically become candidates to join a race crew.
Skippers: Find competent, qualified race crew with a listing on either platform, for the race or return trip. Specify position, skills and experience required, and connect directly with available crew. Unless you are running a charter operation, it’s a free service.
RailMeets.com – Skipper’s page