Bulletin #2 – Safety Requirements Amendments released.
November 14, 2017 – The Bermuda Race Organizing Committee (BROC) has released amended versions of the Safety Requirements (NBRSR) for both monohulls and multihulls. These documents are now posted on the Official Notice Board at http://bermudarace.com/entr
To summarize, changes to the requirements for all participating yachts are:
- 1.9 Sailing Without Power, which requires that boats be capable of being sailed in the event of a loss of power.
- 4.3.1 Safety at Sea Seminars attended via the internet only (without any in-person course work) will not be accepted as meeting the requirements of the 2018 Newport Bermuda Race.
Changes to requirements for multihulls are:
- 2.2 Stability has been expanded with the addition of Appendix 2.
- 3.2.3 Underside Jacklines and Nonskid Pathways has been added to require jacklines running the length of the underwing deck with suitable nonskid pathways.
- 3.32 Knife has been modified to require a second knife below the foredeck trampoline.
- 3.33.4 Storm Jib was modified slightly to eliminate confusion.
- 3.33.5 Mainsheet Release was added to require that at least one meter of mainsheet could be released in under two seconds from any steering or trimming station.
All participants and prospective participants should carefully review the documents on the Official Notice Board and are reminded that the documents themselves are the only official source of information.