The Bermuda Race Organizing Committee has posted the Notice of Race for the 2014 Newport Bermuda Race® in the race documents area. The Newport Bermuda Race Safety Requirements have also been posted. These requirements are based on US Sailing’s new “Ocean-level” standard, and include Newport Bermuda Race prescriptions.
BROC Chairman Fred Deichmann said, “We are pleased to present the Notice of Race so that competitors may begin planning their entry in our 2014 race. We are also enthusiastic about our new 2014 Newport Bermuda Race Safety Requirements and expect that competitors will find them compact, specific, and easy to understand and use.”
“We urge everyone interested in the 2014 Race, newcomers and vets alike, to read the new NOR now,” Deichmann added.
Significant changes for 2014 include:
- introduction of a performance screen value as an additional aid in proper assignment of yachts to the St. David’s Lighthouse and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Divisions,
- requirements that many documents be kept aboard rather than submitted to the Organizing Authority,
- adoption of the Newport Bermuda Race Safety Requirements which are expected to simplify preparation for the inspection process and the inspection itself,
- introduction of time penalties for failure to meet entry dates and deadlines to enhance competition and improve race administration.
- Additional changes include new prizes for regional competitions, a prize for 4-handed crews in the Cruiser Division and a prize for combined Annapolis-Newport/Newport Bermuda Race entries for IRC scored yachts.
The new safety requirements are among the many topics concerning the race and long-distance sailing that will be addressed at the Cruising Club of America Bermuda Race Safety at Sea Seminar in Newport, R.I., on March 15-16.
[ilink url=”http://bermudarace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Notice-of-Race-FINAL-31Oct13.pdf” style=”download”]Notice of Race[/ilink][divider_flat]
[ilink url=”http://bermudarace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2014-NBRSR-30Oct13.2.pdf” style=”download”]Safety Requirements[/ilink]